A lot has changed in the SEO world. But still, some basic principles have remained the same. For instance, targeting keywords to enhance organic ranking doesn't work anymore with search engines, though keywords are still critical. In addition to getting SEO juice, keywords help you to understand the behavior of your prospects as well as the solutions they are trying to find.
But with so many SEO ranking factors, it has become difficult for marketers to determine which ones to focus on and which ones to ignore. It is even tougher for new marketers who are trying to get a hold of the dynamic industry. To help put a few things into perspective, here are SEO FAQs answered in Singapore.
What is SEO?
SEO is an acronym for search engine optimization, which is a technique that helps your site become more visible in organic search for users who are searching for your product, brand or service through search engines like Yahoo, Bing, and Google.
What is the difference between paid and organic results?
As the name suggests, paid results are search results that feature at the side or top of a page. Organic results, on the other hand, are those that appear on the search engine result page (SERPs) free of charge - based on an algorithm.
What are the main aspects of SEO?
There are two components of SEO: on-page and off-page SEO.
- On-page SEO is where you optimize elements on your site for search engines and include things like images, content, HTML, and blogs. It encompasses a vast range of discipline, including user experience, content, blogging, loading speed, responsiveness, and so on.
- Off-page SEO is where you optimize elements away from your site for search engines. Backlinks are the most prominent example of off-page SEO.
What's Google penalty?
These are actions implemented when your sites violate the stipulated guidelines. This could be due to placing too many ads, or links, among other reasons. A penalty can be issued automatically through Google's algorithm or manual through the company's employee who has rendered your site spammy. Examples of penalties include Panda and Penguin.
How important are links?
Both internal links and backlinks play a critical role in SEO. The only catch is that the backlinks should come from authoritative sites because this is what signals Google that your page is relevant. Internal links are also helpful for SEO since they allow for ease of navigation and also make users spend more time on your site.
How long until a site increases its rankings?
This may vary from a few months up to a year. Remember, SEO involves a lot of stuff that needs to be done consistently. But when you get everything right, it will be only a matter of months before you note a significant increase in rankings.
Can a digital agency help me rank number #1?
Any SEO company can help enhance your chances of listing higher on search engines - even up to #1. However, the promise that they'll make your site number one could potentially be misleading. SEO is an ongoing process – and the search habits of users also keep changing. For your site to perform well, you'll need to be consistent all through.
Do I need SEO for my business?
As we have mentioned earlier, SEO is a critical part of any business's sales and marketing strategy. With the uptake and exponential growth of the internet, having an online presence has become more of a necessity than an option. Some reasons to develop and implement a clear SEO and online presence include:
- Optimize your online presence and visibility
- Develop better branding and position your business and solutions
- Boost your business's online trust and credibility
- Rank higher on Google and other search engines
- Identify the most effective keywords in your niche
- Increase leads and repeat clients
- Grow your business
What is local search?
This is the use of geographic tags like city, zip code, or state as part of the keyword (or key phrase) when searching. Local search is an excellent way for Google to deliver relevant results for products, services, and businesses within specified geolocation. You can derive plenty of benefits from, optimizing your online presence for local search opportunities, especially if you have a physical location like a dentist, plumber, contractor, repair business, and restaurant.
Why does the search algorithm keep shifting from time to time?
The internet is dynamic, and search engine result pages keep changing regularly. This can be intimidating to your marketing efforts, mainly when you had managed to get to the top positions. Several aspects affect rankings of a page and a keyword on a particular day, including:
- Search engines discovering new web pages, sites, and content
- Older web pages, content and site reducing in relevancy or being eliminated from the web
- Older websites enhancing or upgrading their sites, web pages, and content thus becoming appealing to search engines and visitors
- Search engines changing how they assess web pages, links, websites, and content